We eat approximately five times per day yet nothing creates more confusion (or angst) than the food we put into our mouth. We often read conflicting nutrition advice but that is simply because different people have different goals and start from different baselines. The information for the most part is right, but it may or may not apply to you.
Nutrition is more than food. It is also about awareness, motivation and organization and it is essential that these factors are included in a nutrition program for long-term success. Optimizing your diet also can include looking for food sensitivities that may be linked to some long term health issues such as fatigue, skin disorders, anxiety, digestive distress etc.
Our nutritionist, Melissa Spooner, has a B.Sc. in Nutrition form Bastyr University in Seattle WA. and is a 3-time Ironman Champion. Mel understands that people’s needs are individual. Whether dealing with food sensitive’s, medical issues, and/or weight loss, you are unique and she enjoys being a part of educating people to get the most out of their food and determining what a healthy diet is based on individual needs.
To create a happy and healthy relationship with food, Mel also provides the following services:
- Daily Nutrition – to ensure that you are getting the basics through real food
- Training Nutrition – getting the fuel during your activity in order to perform to your own personal standards
- Recovery Nutrition – to ensure that you can get up and do it all over again tomorrow
- Race Day Nutrition –planning for race day so you can spend your energy on other race day situations
- Transitioning from “diets” to lifestyle eating plans,
- Data entry and evaluation of diet diaries,
- Food allergies/sensitivities
- Establishing personal healthy eating habits to take you through the various stages of life.
- Shopping tours at local grocery stores
A list of our Favourite Recipes!
Recipes – No Bake Pumpkin Energy Balls